Tips to Use Google Maps Without Internet on Android and iOSby Girish Kannan April 10, 2015
Travelling to new places and discovering new destinations is great fun. With the advent of Google Maps, travelling has become much easier and more fun than ever before. Nowadays, most tourists travelling to foreign places greatly rely on Google Maps to find their way; to locate the nearest accommodation facility, to spot the best dining places around and to know the exact route while travelling from point A to point B. Although, Google Maps is an excellent travel tool, you must know that to access Google Maps you need to have internet connection.
Often times, several tourist who travel to a far off location or to a foreign country, find themselves at loss because they are not able to access Google Maps as they don’t have internet access on their smart device. However, not many people know that Google Maps can be used even without internet connectivity. Read on for tips on how to use Google Maps on your iOS and Android smart mobile device without internet:
The trick to use Google Maps with no internet connection is to save the Map for offline access at a later time. The tips for savings Google maps is pretty similar for both iOS and Android devices:
- First and foremost you need to install the latest version of Google Maps. If you have already installed Google Maps on your device ensure that it is updated to the latest version. Currently, the latest update for iOS uses is 3.0 version and for Android uses it is 8.0
- Once you have installed or updated the app on your device sign in to your Google account with your id and password.
- Next, launch the app and click on the profile icon, which is located next to search bar and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Here, you would find a new selection, which is dedicated completely for offline maps.
- Type ‘OK Maps’ in the search bar at the top and tap on the search button. At this point you would see a dialogue box appearing on your screen, which would read ‘Save this Map,’ click on the save button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are fine with the map or the route that is displayed on your screen you can immediate click the Save button. If you are not sure you can choose to zoom in our zoom out in the area that you want and move the map around accordingly. Now select the area of the map that you want to save and then tap on the save button. It is always best advised to save the map of the full city so that you can zoom in to the inner streets and localities at a later time.
- While you hit the save button, you would see a dialogue box appearing on your screen, which would ask you to enter a name for the map.
- Accessing the saved maps is pretty easy. Just tap on the Google Maps icon and tap the person icon which is located adjacent to the directions icons. This will directly lead you to your profile wherein, you can view all your saved maps.
So now that you are armed with the valuable information about how to use the Google Maps offline, go ahead and use these tips to make your vacations more fun.