Essential Tips to Improve Battery Life of a Laptopby Priya Singh October 15, 2014 0 comments
We all know that today PCs or laptops have become the part and parcel of our life. Being a onetime investment and asset, it must have a long life which most of the times depends on its battery. Therefore, it has to be effective and efficient. For this purpose, we should know and be aware of all a few techniques or measures which ensure optimum performance and extend the life span of the battery.
Only efficient hardware and not software can ensure us an efficient battery life. Unfortunately, finding laptops with awesome battery life often proves tedious as most manufactures lie about battery performance. Moreover, many of us don’t bother to check the specifications on how long the battery will last. Under some stated conditions, each new battery has warranty as per the life span with a normal usage. So, we should know how many hours the battery will last especially when we are doing activities like video streaming, internet browsing and others that consume high power. Besides this, like me, many of us are victims of a situation when we have an urgent work to finish and we expect our Laptop battery to last a little longer before an opportunity to recharge and the suddenly the battery goes dead. So, to avoid such situations and for a long battery life here are a few things you ought to consider.
1. Technologies that improve battery life
As we discussed earlier efficient hardware enables longer battery life, so just take a look at the following seven components:
- The Hard Drive Technology: There are four kinds of hard-drives used in modern laptops: Hard Disk Drives (HDD), Solid State Drives (SSD), Hybrid Drives, and mini-PCIe Solid State Drives. HDDs use moving parts, and hence they require high power. As compared to traditional devices, SSDs provide superior power consumption. If we talk about hybrid drives, they combine traditional hard disk drives with solid state drives and run on the same SATA III channel. The hybrid drives require high power consumption than other types of solid state drives. mSATA SSD consume the least amount of power.
- CPU Thermal Design Power (TDP): A laptop produces wattage (manufactures specify its higher limit) using a system called Thermal Design Power (TDP). TDP nominally equals the wattage used by the CPU at maximum heat output. In general, a CPU with lower TDP will yield better battery life.
- Operating System: It requires extensive optimization on a laptops to get better battery life. Among the major operating systems, ChromeOS offers the best battery life but at the cost of software compatibility. Windows 8.1 and OS X also offer better battery life and a larger software library.
- Battery: Mostly, manufacturers either don’t state the total amount of energy stored within a battery or only list the total number of used cells, which commonly run from three to nine cells. Now we have two kinds of battery technologies that increase battery longevity, recharge speeds and energy density.
- Wireless Technology: The Bluetooth 4.0 and wireless-AC (802.11ac), latest standard in wireless connectivity place a great deal of emphasis on power efficiency.
- Laptop Screens: IGZO screens (indium, gallium, zinc oxide) technology, alternative to standard LCD come with much lower battery drain.
- Screen Resolution: Lower resolution screens offer a great deal of power efficiency than Higher resolution ones. We can manually reduce screen’s resolution for extended battery life.
The battery life is dependent on two main components i.e. the screen and the CPU. These components remain critically important at the time of purchasing as these cannot be upgraded with ease. So we should pay attention in buying them.
2). Preventive Measures: The following preventive measures will enhance the life of battery
- Use Balance, Power Saver and High Performance options as these determine the longevity of battery.
- For turning your computer use customize power plan as it will conserve power and extend the battery life.
- The applications which are not in use should be closed, as modern laptops have the facility for running several applications at the same time. It will be helpful in saving power.
- Turn off wireless connections such as internet and Bluetooth when they are not in use. Also make sure you turn off the laptop when not in use.
- Make sure you are using the right adapter that meets those specifications for which it has been made otherwise it may damage the battery or shorten its life span. Further, immediately unplug the adapter when there is an indication of full battery.
- Laptop battery calibration, a process of restoring vitality to a battery life will help restore accurate battery Power status reading.
- Avoid moist environment, extreme heat conditions and a direct water contact for optimum performance.
- Timely check the battery contact pins.
- Place your laptop on hard surface rather than on soft surface as it can easily heat up the system and block ventilation.
- Adjust the settings to reduce power consumption when you have to use keyboard and the display. Finally, turn off the sound whenever possible, just mute the laptop altogether so that speaker would not get any power.
We all worship our laptop as it has become the key to our competitive edge. That’s why learning about how to improve battery life has become crucial subject. By keeping in mind all the above points and following all these preventive measures we can extend the life of our battery even in those moments that we find ourselves high and dry.