Easily Disable Pop-Up Blockers to Gain Access to Relevant Informationby Priya Singh November 17, 2014
Sometimes pop ups can be annoying as they keep getting in the way of your online work environment which is why we set up pop-up blockers in the first place. However, these same pop-up blockers might end up blocking popups that you need. You need to know how to disable these popup blockers as and when you want. Most popup blockers are built into your browser, so the settings may be different according to the browser you are using. Here is how to disable pop-up blockers for Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox:
Disabling pop-up blocker in Google Chrome
In Google Chrome, an icon like a browse bar with a red “X” appears on your address bar if your pop-up blocker is turned on.
- If you click on the icon you will see three options which allow you to always allow pop-ups from this website, continue blocking pop-ups or manage pop-up blocking.
You can choose the desired option. However if you want to permanently disable your pop-up blocker you can simply access the menu which is located at the top right corner on the toolbar.
- Go to the settings option and search for “Show advanced settings” which is at the bottom and click on it.
- It will open up a Privacy section where you need to click on ‘Content settings’.
- Finally you need to go the “Pop-ups” section and choose “Allow all sites to show pop-ups.”
Disabling pop-up blocker in Internet Explorer
If your pop-up blocker is turned on in Internet Explorer and you visit a site that has pop-ups, you will see an information bar on the top of your browser that informs you that your pop-ups have been blocked.
- You can click on the information bar and it will give you options to temporarily allow pop-ups from the site that you are currently on, always allow pop-ups from the current site or adjust the pop-up blocker settings.
- Choosing to temporarily allow pop-ups will enable pop-ups only as long as you are on the browser. It will expire the minute to close it down.
- If you want to disable the pop-up blocker permanently, you need to open Internet Explorer and select “Tools” from the menu bar.
- Select “Pop-up Blocker” and then select “Turn Off pop-up Blocker.”
Disabling pop-up blocker in Firefox
Firefox shows and information bar and an icon in the location bar when it blocks a pop-up.
- If you click the Options button in the info bar or the icon in the location bar, you get options to allow/block pop-ups for this site, edit pop-up blocker options, don’t show this message when pop-ups are blocked and show the blocked pop-up.
- To block pop-ups permanently, open Firefox and select “Options” from the Tools menu.
- Then select the “Content” tab and uncheck “Block Popup Windows”.
- Finally click “OK.”
It is not recommended to permanently disable your pop-up blocker as it can get in the way of a smooth online working environment and can cause malicious content accessing from putting your computer and further putting your computer at risk. Instead, it is recommended that you always temporarily disable it on certain sites so that you don’t miss out on data which can benefit you.