Most of us might have not heard the word ‘Mobile Phone Tracker’ and it may also be possible that many of us are aware about it but don’t know how it works. Here’s an insight on how the system actually works.
Mobile phone tracking, a software or application is used to identify or monitor the current position of any mobile which you want to track. It is very easy to install and many of the latest phones already have this feature. After installing mobile phone tracker software, the phone will automatically send communication activities like text messages, pictures, emails, videos, GPS location and incoming or outgoing calls information as soon as user initiates it. In fact, the deleted information can also be captured.
How it works? For tracking mobile phones, we need two necessities i.e. a Global Positioning System (GPS) and the satellites. Through GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) network, a GPS system receives signals from the satellites to track the location and time of the device. But the data can only be sent when there are four or more satellites within line of sight of the device. GPS tracking services can also be referred as location-based services (LBS).
In 1973, the United States Department of Defense established the GPS for military purposes but with the passage of time, it was gradually used by civilians and now today it is widely used by everyone during the whole day i.e. 24 hours a day.
The Process of tracking: There are mainly two ways for tracking the mobile phone i.e. GPS and other ways.
1). Tracking through GPS: The tracking of cell phone through GPS is completely depended upon the signals. If signals are strong, it will give you the accurate location of the phone otherwise it may be difficult to track its exact and accurate location. Through a triangulation process, it finds the mobile phone’s position on a given plane with two known visual landmarks. The closest GPS satellites calculate the location of the cell phone through microwave signals via the GNSS network.
2). Tracking without GPS: Following are the other ways to track the cell phone without using GPS.
- You can install the modem yourself or it can be installed by cell phone service providers or tracing companies. Using your own number, you can program it as a mobile phone to send text messages or SMS. Then, it will give you the information about the location of the cell phone in a text message form on making a call to the modem’s phone number with the cell phone.
- By programming the modem, you can automatically obtain the information of cell phone’s location in a text message or SMS form with the defined intervals, such as every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes or every hour.
- Another way involves the installation of maps and software on the cell phone to convert the positions coordinates into map locations.
- By getting subscription to service providers, you can track the present or past location on a map. Indifferent intervals, the modem sends the information of position to a server which is hosted by the tracking service provider. It can be viewed either on a computer or on a cell phone through the access of internet.
- The online cell phone tracing providers can trace the position by using a reverse directory. It not only traces the history of the cell phone’s locations but also provides the information about its owner including his address, approximate age, household members, associated phone numbers, possible relatives and many more.
Advantages of cell phone tracking system: The tracking system surely brings many questions such as — is cell phone tracking system beneficial to us; are its benefits just limited to a business or not; can it be used in personal life, etc. The following points will give you the answers of all such questions.
- From business point of view, it helps the business owners to keep an eye on their employees. By issuing the mobile phones and using the tracking information from the phones, they can know about the location of the workers.
- The mobile phone tracking system is very helpful in emergency cases like calling the police force, fire, ambulance in need and finding the missing persons. On calling for emergency services, the call is routed to the nearest cell-phone tower regardless of mobile-service provider through the integration of FCC-enforced Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) and GPS. It automatically communicates the phone number and location of the caller to a PSAP that manages the area.
- It also helps the parents in saving their children as through this service they can view their children at all times by locating their current and previous location.
Disadvantages of cell phone tracking system: The foremost drawback of this system is an invasion of privacy as mobile phone companies have the access to exploit the information and get an extraordinary insight into the private lives of their mobile customers. But this can be avoided as the mobile users have the ability to disable casual location-tracking applications.
Truly, the mobile tracking system has now entered not only in business world but also in our personal life. In fact, the continuously upgraded advanced applications have further widened its scope day by day.